Lehigh Hanson Safety Intern - San Ramon, CA in San Ramon, California
Line Of Business: Corporate Administration (SSC, IT, Employee Services, Etc.)
Department: Health, Safety and Environment
Primary Location: San Ramon-CA
WE GIVE DOWN-TO-EARTH A WHOLE NEW MEANING
You experience our products every day, though you may not recognize our name. That’s OK. We’re focused on being great, not especially flashy.
We’re Lehigh Hanson. Our products build cities and towns, including stadiums that hold thousands of fans, and bridges that support millions of vehicles. We have thousands of employees across hundreds of locations in the U.S. and Canada, making us North America’s leading supplier of cement, aggregates, ready mixed concrete, asphalt and related construction materials.
Lehigh Hanson’s Safety & Health Internship program is tailored to students pursuing an occupational safety and health degree. Internships typically run mid-May through mid-August and involve travel to our many operating locations. By providing technical guidance, structure and exciting workplace challenges, our internship will provide you the skills and experience to help prepare you for a successful career.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO
Under general supervision, interns or co-ops will assist with various health & safety/industrial hygiene projects based on site specific needs to ensure site compliance with regulatory standards. Interns and co-ops will actively promote safety standards to increase workplace safety:
• Collecting air, dust, vapors or gas samples for analysis
• Preparing sample shipments for laboratory analysis
• Evaluating areas for safety compliance
• Document exposure monitoring data and observations into reports
• Assist groups in safety related concerns and apply regulatory standards (PELs, TLVs, etc.) and reporting findings along with any recommendations to eliminate and/or control safety and health hazards
• Perform other Environment, Safety and Health (ESH) duties as required
HERE’S WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
• Full-time student currently enrolled at an accredited four-year university majoring in Health & Safety, Industrial Hygiene or closely related field
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Possesses strong data analysis and problem solving skills
• Highly detail oriented
• Possesses strong oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrates initiative, organizational skills and ability to work well under pressure, as well the ability to travel during the Summer and work independently
• Demonstrates ability to collaborate and work effectively in a team environment.
• Must be able to demonstrate our core values of honesty, fairness, respect, trust, and integrity
• Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
• Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
• Fluent with NEC, NFPA, ISA, etc.
• Demonstrated experience in leadership, problem solving, and decision taking
• Ability to perform tasks that include walking, climbing equipment, working within confined spaces and occasionally lifting up to 50 lbs.
• Willingness to provide coverage during off-shift hour and weekends as required
BRING YOUR HUMBLE OVERACHIEVER ATTITUDE AND LET’S ELEVATE OUR COMPANY EVEN HIGHER!
We’re a tight knit team. While we strive to be the best, we do it with an attitude that is humble, accessible and down-to-earth. We don’t ask you to “fit in” to our culture. We invite you to add to it.
Employer Statement: Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Female / Veteran / Disabled